OVERVIEW: Provides support and assistance to people with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders and their families, and education and advocacy on issues related to dementia. Supports research into the cause, treatment, prevention, and cure of alzheimer’s disease.
1)HELPLINE: Offers advice to callers about caring for persons with Alzheimer’s and community resources. Provides pamphelts on care, legal issues and services.
2) FAMILY SUPPORT: Support groups for relatives and friends of people with Alzheimer’s meet to share feelings, problems and solutions. Sponsors an early stage memory lss group for patients and their families.
3) LIBRARY: Sells books and lends videotapes to caregivers and professionals.
4)SPEAKERS’ BUREAU: Informed volunteers and professionals are available to speak to community groups that wish to know more about the disease and related disorders.
5) NEWSLETTER: Published 4 times a year. Provides information on chapter activities, research, legislation and caregiving issues.
6) SAFE RETURN PROGRAM: Persons with Alzheimer’s or other dementias may be registered. Families receive an ID bracelet and clothing labels for the impared family member.
7) WORKSHOPS & CONFERENCES: Sponsors many educational opportunities for caregivers, professional workshops and the dementia training course for health professionals.
8) GRACE KIRKLAND FUND: Provides a one-time grant to families who have exhausted all other available resources in caring for someone with dementia. The purpose is to help with emergency needs such as respite home health equipment and medical transportation. A professional referral is requirred.